Skip to main content

My views on marriage!

This is an old post of mine on Facebook. I'll just post it here as a way to kick things off.

These are my views on marriage. This is my take on my generation on this thing called marriage.
First of all let me digress and say my view on my generation. We are a selfish and self centred generation. I'm talking of the generation of people that are in their thirties. It's all about me. I can't blame us. Most of us have very few dependents. We finished school. Got jobs. I'm talking of people that finished uni between 2000-2006. The relatively lucky ones. The era of the new generation banks, communication industries. These jobs paid well. Then we earned big money. Got good pay, era of bank loans. We were relatively comfortable. Our parents still worked. We had free accommodation, free food, we were not training anyone. So my money is my money. We got out of school young, 21-23. Who wants to marry at that age. 😒.
So we live life. Party hard. Pop champagne. Travel the world.
Then we hit 26ish for girls, 28-30ish for guys and it's time to tick the next box to which is marriage. We date people. Find someone. Maybe the right person, maybe not (that's a story for another day). Then the drama starts.
As I said we are a selfish bunch. So we fail to realise marriage comes with hard work. It's a matter of giving and sharing. No one wants to be submissive anymore. I don't blame us. We work long hours. I will now come home to someone who wants freshly made stew. Nne, bros, cook yaself. That aside. We are used to living for us alone. So we marry and forget things change. Guys still party like 1999, the girls still want the courting period of dates, gifts, the whole fairy tale. And most importantly we have a back up plan. It's not a do and die and affair. If it ain't worth it, I'm walking away. There is usually someone "we can run to" in our minds (that is total bs, you are only attractive because you are out of reach).
Anyways we start the journey with a back up plan. When it gets too hot. We jump ship. We are not ready for nonsense. A whole graduate, foreign graduate sef. What nonsense. With a good job, relatively good pay, fine person. My father's house is still there. I can't come and die. And our parents knowing what they went through, won't judge us. Some of them really shouldn't have stayed in those marriages.
What we fail to marriage as beautiful as it is, it really is a lot of work, tolerance and prayers. As i tell newly weds; There will be bad days, but I pray for you the good days outnumber and outweigh the bad. It's not for when it's bad I bounce. I'm not saying if you are married to the devil, stay o. If it's an abusive relationship (physical, emotional) or a very bad marriage. Nne, it's not worth it (it doesn't worth it). Bounce. But for the ones that can be worked on. Stay. Truthfully our folks had it worse especially our mothers. Now we deal only with husbands and maybe mother-in-laws for the women. Then it's was plus aunties, siblings etc.
I'm saying we need to step back, evaluate things and learn to work on ourselves before we marry. If you are married, ask yourself before I take this crazy decision. Is this because I know I have a back up plan?
Truthfully as I said its my own view on things. I say to a lot of people. I'm probably still married because of my age when I got married. I married straight out of uni. Which is strange because for me, marriage wasn't a necessity. I wanted to get married at 30. If I wasn't married by 32, I planned on ivf and having mixed race babies. I guess my mother's daily rebuking of my wish paid off. Lol. So imagine if that plan came, and anything happened, I would have walked out. I can imagine getting married at this age, I'll be stuck in my ways. I won't take nonsense. Now I'm a veteran, 9 years, so I can overlook some things.
I pray for wisdom for all of us. Too many marriages crashing in a year or two. Let's make things work.

FM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE CASE OF CRAZY MARY.

THE CASE OF CRAZY MARY!! ADVICE PEOPLE Good day people,  Today I'm here to ask for advice on behalf of a dear friend.  This is the story of my friend who has permitted me to share his story as he is very confused to say the least. My friend; let's call him Nick. Let me give you a quick back ground on Nick. He is a young up and coming guy. Doing relatively well, good job, mama's boy sort of. He lives alone.  Nick meets this young girl let's call her Mary. Mary is a "good" girl. Just finished university. So she is young.  Nick likes Mary, the chase is on. Mary says she only wants a serious relationship. She isn't into the Lagos hook up thing. Nick decides to date Mary and be as committed as he can be. Lagos boys.  Things are going well with the usual hitches in any relationship. He however notices Mary is a tad bit intense. She  calls about 6-8 times at once. She rants and raves when he finally picks up the phone. She goes through h

KARMA IS ON SABBATICAL!!!!

WHEN THE ‘ABNORMAL’ BECOMES NORMAL, KARMA GOES ON SABBATICAL So I have been meaning to write this post but I kept shelving it because “it seemed a bit judgmental”. However, a few recent social media events made me share this. A few days back, the best girls were hanging together and one of them causally mentioned how Karma seems to be on leave. She asked if we noticed that “the bad girls” that we were warned not to be like growing up seem to be the norm of the day. It seems that “being a decent girl” is a bit outdated and doesn’t earn you the golden prize after all. She said she was talking to a colleague who hinted that the body count of girls between the ages of 23-25 were as much as 50-70. I laughed at the exaggeration, she also felt the same. He, however broke it down for her. The average young girl now, borrowing a phrase from my colleague has an early consensual sexual initiation, usually at about 15-16, if not earlier (I shudder at the thought of this). These

DEAR MEN!!!

DEAR MEN!! Dear men, Yeah!! You!! Especially the African men. Most especially the Nigerian men, the Lagos boys!! Yes. I'm talking about you!! Stop 🛑!!!  I look around and see our parents and I wonder where it all went wrong. We see our mothers living solely for their kids and God. No plans with their husbands. I see a lot of older women who can't for the life of them be bothered with their spouses. You hear " eh he has gone out again, I'm going out. There is food in the house" or the painful ones " he wasted his youth on those strays and expects me to sit with him now in his old age that he is sick. Never!!" We have our mothers who haven't been to Nigeria in years. They have relocated to "the abroad" or wherever their kids are. They haven't seen their spouses in years and grumble whenever he visits them. They have built a life that doesn't involve him. They are married but separated from the husband.  This u